COVID-19 Update: Changes to Visitors Policy in Alberta
February 28, 2022
While we are optimistic about the province’s decision to remove COVID-19 restrictions in the general population tomorrow, we must remember that retirement communities are held to a different standard. You can reference Dr. Deena Hinshaw’s CMOH order 06-2022 for licensed supportive living settings for all of the details.
For your reference, here is an overview of current protocols at Seasons Retirement communities in Alberta, provided the home is not in outbreak status.
General Visitors will continue to be permitted, with safety measures implemented by the retirement home, unless advised by Communicable Disease Control.
- The number of General Visitors will be increased to 5 individuals per resident at one time for indoor visits and 12 individuals per resident at one time for outdoor visits. For all visits, sufficient space must be available to allow physical distancing.
- General Visitors and residents must maintain physical distancing (2 metres separation) for the duration of the visit. This is with the exception of brief physical contact (i.e. hugging), which is only permitted with fully vaccinated visitors.
- We strongly encourage all visitors to be fully immunized.
Visiting a Resident
- Visits are to be scheduled in advance through Cubigo or phone calls to ensure equitable access for all residents
- Visitors are required to:
- Review all IPAC posters, links and videos on Cubigo at least monthly.
- Complete the Health Screening Questionnaire on Cubigo before entering the home.
- Complete a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) and demonstrate a negative test result before entering the home. Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 but completed their quarantine may resume asymptomatic testing after 21 days from their infection. Proof of a positive test will be required to ensure the timing of resuming access and testing.
- Provide their surgical mask and wear it throughout the entire duration of their visit.
Social Gathering and Organized Events
- Social gatherings and organized events will continue to be permitted at all times, including higher intensity exercise classes (e.g. cardio) and social activities that include singing, dancing, and performing music.
- All fully vaccinated General Visitors (including facilitators) can attend social gatherings and organized events if they pass active screening and demonstrate a negative Rapid Antigen Test.
- Visitors must continue to be masked for these activities.
Case counts in the general community pose the most significant risk to our vulnerable settings. To protect our team members and residents, we ask everyone to maintain their vigilance and respect the protocols we must uphold. I want to thank all of our team members, residents, families and friends who have continued to champion the vaccination program and IPAC protocols. We will continue to make all decisions with our staff and residents’ best interests in mind.
Chief Operating Officer,
Seasons Retirement Communities
For additional online resources for COVID-19 you can visit the following sites:
Alberta Health Services
Public Health Ontario
Retirement Home Regulatory Authority